You have often heard it quoted, “It is better to give than to receive.” Well, this is definitely a true statement. When we give we can know the heartwarming experience of making someone else feel valued and appreciated. Be it for a birthday, anniversary, or just-because, gift giving always feels good for the receiver and the giver. For those of you who do know the extreme joy which can be received from being a giver of gifts there is another way to take giving to another level – give to a charity and watch the value of your gift grow exponentially.
Below are 5 reasons – though there are plenty more – to give to charity:
1. It is your duty – when you are blessed it is your responsibility to share those blessings with others. Those who are in need have only one place to receive, and that is from those whose needs are already being met.
2. It feels amazing – if you have never been a giver, you have no idea what you are missing out on. The gratification that comes with knowing you are using what you have to help another is an amazing feeling that can’t be matched by purely being on the receiving end. Once you start giving, it feels so good; you’ll begin looking for other ways to give (time and/or money).
3. It is tax deductible – this isn’t the most noble of reasons to give to charity; it is however a valid one. Any funds donated to charity reduce your taxable income, which, in turn, reduces your tax liability at the end of the year.
4. There is a need – no matter what issue or cause you feel passionate about supporting, there is a charity out there somewhere looking to address those needs. It won’t be hard to find a charity that supports the cause (or causes) that interest you.
5. You can interact with others who share your passions – you might be surprised to find out who supports the same charity as you. When you give to charity you have the ability to unite with those with whom you share a common interest (and you might be surprised at the people who make up the list).
The bottom line is that by giving to charity there are a plethora of benefits without any drawbacks. Morally it is a good thing to do to impact the community around you. You will also be able to feel good knowing that you are supporting causes/issues that are close to your heart. Another good thing is that you will never find yourself running out of charities to support because there are more out there than you will be able to count, all of which could use your support. And yes, there are even some financial benefits when it comes time to file your taxes. So overall, it is an excellent idea to give to charity.